The MFB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, recruiting solely on the basis of relative ability, knowledge and skill.
Do you have what it takes? Find out in this video.....
- excellent remuneration
- comprehensive training that provides nationally recognised qualifications
- shift work
- a strong team environment
- excellent career advancement opportunities.
Role of a Career Firefighter:
MFB firefighters have a very diverse role, which provides opportunities for specialisation and career progression.
Emergency response activities include:
- suppression of all types of fires
- urban search and rescue
- high angle rescue
- road accident rescue
- emergency medical response (EMR)
- emergencies on waters in Port Phillip Bay and the metropolitan river system
- industrial accidents and hazardous material handling and storage incidents
- assisting other combat agencies in emergencies.
Community Resilience activities include:
- educating the community about fire safety
- working with diverse community groups, across all age groups, to promote emergency prevention and preparedness activities through a variety of community resilience programs.
Other activities include:
- training - skills maintenance and acquisition
- maintenance of equipment
- involvement in exercises with the public through evacuation drills
- installing smoke alarms for senior Victorians
- participation in joint emergency training exercises with the Police and Ambulance Victoria
- building inspections
- checking water supplies
- cleaning vehicles and maintenance of fire station.
Women, people from non-English speaking backgrounds and Indigenous Australians are all encouraged to apply.